I needed a userfriendly place to keep my recipes, you know, the ones that I had cut out from magazines, learnt from my mother, eaten in restaurants and at dinner with friends. What better way then to write them down in a blog; I have my own easily accessible database and I can share them with you. Apart from cooking food I do a weekly dinner menu for our little family including a shopping list of all ingredients. Stay tuned as I get myself sorted to post these on a weekly basis.


Thank you,

Josefin Aldell

Tuesday 20 March 2012

Soba noodles with chicken

Oooh, nice Monday surprise. This easy peasy lemon squeezy dish was a sheer delight to make and was enjoyed by everyone. Soba (buckwheat) noodles in a chicken and dried mushroom stock with roast chicken left-overs, black beans, broccoli and spring onions. Not much to add really, just another addition to the favourite family dishes and I wave the flag for victory against predictable and unappealing family dinners. 

Good thing dinner was an easy task on Monday as I had an appointment at the physio for my lower back. Has been slightly achy for a while but thought going to the physio was all about getting rid of the pain...nooo, I am wearing the biggest plasters along my spine to keep me from overstretching or arching. Can't actually reach the top shelf of my spice collection so this week there will be no ready made fajitas, guacamole, lemon or rosemary salt (expiry date some time in July, 2010 though!!!). Instead we are cooking fish cakes, pasta with salsiccia and veal escalope with tabbouleh. 

Ingredients (original recipe here Soba med kyckling)
8 dried mushrooms (any kind will do but Chinese are preferred)
200 g soba noodles
1/2 roast chicken
2 tbsp concentrated liquid chicken stock + 1l of water
1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 bunch of spring onion
1 tin of black beans
1 head of broccoli
a little bit of grated horseradish for those with grown-up taste

Preparation
Place the dried mushrooms in a pan and cover with hot water. Leave to soak according to instructions (can be left over night too). 

Cook the noodles according to the instructions. When cooked, drain and rinse with cold water. Return to pan and cover with a lid. 

Remove the meat from the chicken and tear it into smaller pieces. Chop the mushrooms and save the water it soaked in. Slice the spring onion finely and cut the broccoli into florets. 

To do the stock, add the water to a pan, add the concentrated chicken stock, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, chicken and mushrooms. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Season to taste with the left over mushroom water, salt and pepper. 

Add the spring onion, black beans (rinsed), broccoli and noodles. Cover with a lid and leave to simmer for one minute. Serve in bowls and top with some grated horseradish. 


No comments:

Post a Comment