I needed a userfriendly place to keep my recipes, you know, the ones that I had cut out from magazines, learnt from my mother, eaten in restaurants and at dinner with friends. What better way then to write them down in a blog; I have my own easily accessible database and I can share them with you. Apart from cooking food I do a weekly dinner menu for our little family including a shopping list of all ingredients. Stay tuned as I get myself sorted to post these on a weekly basis.


Thank you,

Josefin Aldell

Saturday 17 March 2012

Chicken on lemon grass skewers

Mummy, I like the chicken lollipop! These chicken mince skewers with ginger wrapped around lemongrass have just become a favourite at our dinner table. The kids can bite tender pieces of chicken holding the lemongrass in their hands. The only thing that takes a little bit of time is making the chicken mince and you need something heavy to pound on the thick end of the lemongrass so it breaks up into splinters and leave that perfume of lemon and lime on the chicken. Served with rice, sesame seeds and cashews and salad of melon and cucumber its an instant hit among the small people in our house. 

I have a casserole of knuckle of pork (yep, had no idea what it was before trying to explain this particular cut at the butchers this morning but it is basically the pig's leg) cooking for tomorrow's dinner. Mixed with cinnamon, fennel (supposed to be star anis but had run out), chopped tomatoes, soy sauce, honey, ginger and black beans (might have to be replaced with lentils as I couldn't get any today) and cognac (supposed to be calvados but didn't have any in that cupboard of alcohol that I haven't opened for about 5 years or since our firstborn). It will probably be completely disgusting so might have to keep a back up of my italian meatballs so the kids won't starve. This should teach me not to mess with proven recipes. 

I am spending the weekend husband less, but I think I already told you, so need to head off to bed to cope with the two monsters when they wake up tomorrow morning. Happy Saturday!

Ingredients (original recipe here kycklingspett pa citrongras)
500 g chicken fillets (I think thighs should work ever better so will try that next time)
1 thumbsize fresh ginger
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
breadcrumbs (preferably Panko but there is one from Waitrose's cook's ingredients which has the same texture)
about 16 lemon grass (less if they are very thick)
1 dl toasted, chopped cashews
2 tbsp sesame seeds
soy sauce and lime to serve

Preparation
Preheat the oven to 175°C.
Whizz the chicken into mince with a food processor or a hand mixer. Grate the ginger and squeeze out the juice and discard the fibrous left-overs. Mix the chicken, ginger juice, egg, salt and enough breadcrumbs to keep the mixture together.

Pound on each of the lemon grass until it breaks up into splinters. Put some oil on your hands and roll the mixture into oval balls and place the lemon grass in the middle of the ball, fold the mixture around the lemon grass. Roll the skewers in more breadcrumbs. Add some neutral oil (like rape seed oil) into a pan and fry the skewers until they are golden all around. Place them in a baking tray and leave them in the oven for about 20 mins. Remove and place on a serving dish, sprinkle with the chopped cashews and the sesame seeds and serve with rice, soy sauce and wedges of lime. We also did a simple salad of cucumber and melon with a dressing of  limejuice, sugar and green tabasco (no tabasco for the kids though).




No comments:

Post a Comment