I needed a userfriendly place to keep my recipes, you know, the ones that I had cut out from magazines, learnt from my mother, eaten in restaurants and at dinner with friends. What better way then to write them down in a blog; I have my own easily accessible database and I can share them with you. Apart from cooking food I do a weekly dinner menu for our little family including a shopping list of all ingredients. Stay tuned as I get myself sorted to post these on a weekly basis.


Thank you,

Josefin Aldell

Thursday 8 December 2011

New style salmon sashimi



My quest to get the entire family, not just the kids, to eat salmon continues. A friend of mine commented on my Salmon teriyaki recipe and suggested I try Nobu's New style sashimi dish. I digged out the, now kind of old-fashioned-looking, Nobu cookbook, bought some good quality salmon and there it was, this divine thing. You are supposed to use Yuzu, which is a Japanese lemon juice. It is not stocked at my local store so my friend recommended to mix orange and lemon juice instead. You can grate the ginger on top of the salmon but I grated and squeezed out the juice to mix with the rest of the marinade instead. You can find lots of recipes of this dish online but this is how I did it. 

Ingredients
500 g of salmon fillets 
1 thumbsize of fresh ginger
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 orange
1/2 lemon
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp agave syrup (or honey)
toasted sesame seeds to sprinkle
chives to sprinkle

6 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp sesame oil

Preparation
Peel and finely chop the garlic and place in a bowl. Peel and grate the ginger, squeeze the ginger juice into the bowl, discard the ginger fibres you are left with, add the orange and lemon juice, add soy sauce and syrup. Cut the salmon fillets in fine slices and place on a large plate or on several smaller ones. Make sure not to place the salmon pieces too close to each other. Pour the marinade over the salmon and sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped chives. 

Heat the olive and sesame oil in a sauce pan until they just start to smoke. Spoon over the salmon. You will hear a sizzling noise as the oil sears the fish. 

Eat as starter or serve with basmati rice and mange tout as a main course. 


No comments:

Post a Comment