I needed a userfriendly place to keep my recipes, you know, the ones that I had cut out from magazines, learnt from my mother, eaten in restaurants and at dinner with friends. What better way then to write them down in a blog; I have my own easily accessible database and I can share them with you. Apart from cooking food I do a weekly dinner menu for our little family including a shopping list of all ingredients. Stay tuned as I get myself sorted to post these on a weekly basis.


Thank you,

Josefin Aldell

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Seriously ugly looking food

Ok, now don't be put off by the look of this beef casserole. It's lack of beauty is made up for in taste, honestly!  It's a traditional Swedish dish but actually has an English name. Kalops comes from collops which is the plural word for collop or slice of meat.

My paternal Grandmother would invite our family of seven and my Aunts family of six for dinner in her beautiful flat in Gothenburg. It was a very stately affair and all five of us kids would be dressed up and well behaved, at least during dinner. I remember the smell when entering her flat and this is exactly what our house smelled like yesterday when I cooked Kalops. Ritz crackers with various cheese for starters, then kalops with perfectly cooked potatoes as main. I had to think a bit about dessert, by that time the kids had probably been excused.  We  would find our way into my father's old room to look at his toys. I remember thinking of him as a little boy lying in his bed or doing his homework at his desk. This dish is a small homage to my Grandmother, the woman who raised my beloved and deeply missed Dad. 

Kalops
Ingredients
400 g chuck steak in 2 cm pieces
1 tbsp butter
2 carrots
2 parsnips
1 onion
1 tsp salt
1 bay leaf
10 allspice berries
1 tsp white peppercorns
water to cover
extra salt and pepper to taste

Preparation
Peel and cut the carrots, parsnips and onions into large pieces. Heat the butter in a pan and brown the meat on all sides. Then remove the meat and add the carrots, parsnips and onion for a few minutes. Place the meat, carrots, parsnips and onion in a casserole, add the salt, bay leaf, allspice berries, white pepper. Add enough water to cover everything. Cover with a lid and cook for 1,5-2 hours. The meat should be very tender and almost fall to pieces when you cut it.

Remove the meat, some of vegetables and bay leaf. Whiz the remaining vegetables into a sauce and thin with water if desired. Add back the meat and vegetables, heat if necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

The kids and husband ate with good appetite and it is a dead easy dish to prepare but as I said, not a looker!





No comments:

Post a Comment